Written by: Michele Nash-Hoff
If you missed the Del Mar Electronics and Design Show on May 1-2 and don't have another regional show coming up until the fall, you may want to visit the Santa Clara Design-2 Part Show on May 22-23.
Panel Discussions"Product Development and Global Supply Chain Dynamics"
Deciding where to produce products should be part of the product development cycle. The concept and use of the global supply chain is critical in successfully competing in today's world. Learn how the supply chain decision can make or break your new product.
* Michael Keer - Founder & CEO, Product Realization Group, Panel Leader
Sandeep Duggal - CEO, Extron
* Leland Witherspoon - COO/SVP, Faxitron X-Ray Corporation
* Rob McCarthy - Director of Operations, Conceptus, Inc.
* Wayne Firsty - VP Engineering & Product Realization, Creation Technologies
For the past several decades, U.S. companies have been moving manufacturing operations "offshore" to save labor costs. However, with transportation costs, rising Chinese labor costs, quality issues, and simply the issue of keeping jobs in the U.S., there are companies trying to reshore part, or all, of their manufacturing in the U.S. You will be learning about the challenges, reality, and success stories of
* Michele Nash-Hoff - President & Founder, ElectroFab Sales, Panel Leader
* Gus Castello - Sr. VP, Product Operations, Intuitive Surgical
* Brian Holmes - VP & General Manager, Columbia Plastics
* Stan Sutton - President & CEO, Inland Metal Technologies
"Advanced Manufacturing Technologies" - including hands-on 3D printer demo
Manufacturing shows increased use of additive and digital manufacturing techniques, prototyping, robotics, lasers, and more. Computer and software technology is radically changing how we manufacture. U.S. made goods have advantages for small volume, highly regulated, complex products such as medical devices. Learn from companies about the latest trends in advanced manufacturing methods.
* Mark Brinkerhoff - President, Fusion Design, Panel Leader
* Mike Prindiville - Sr. Director, Manufacturing Engineering, Intuitive Surgical
* Simon L. Engel - President, HDE Technologies, Inc. (Lasers)
* Chuck Alexander - Product Manager Additive Manufacturing, Solid Concepts Inc.
* Kevin Andersen - President, Owner, NPI Solutions Inc.
* Nathaniel Arnaldo - Business Development Manager, Arrk Product Development Group
"Workforce Development to Meet Today's Job Requirements"
To meet manufacturing challenges in advanced technologies, a trained local workforce is a top priority. In the Bay Area, we have several educational programs geared for retooling and retraining our work force. These programs teach new skills and provide a platform for new job growth - which goes hand-in-hand with a skilled work force.
* Mark Martin - Director, Advanced Manufacturing Workforce Development, Laney College,
* Naimi Azgui - Professor, Advanced Medical Manufacturing Technologies, Laney College
* Birch Early - Business Services Representative, Alameda County Workforce Investment Boar
* Seth Bates - Professor, Chair, Department Aviation & Aviation Technology San Jose State University
* Mike Appio - Department Head, Manufacturing & CNC Technology Program, DeAnza College
* Guna Selvaduray - Professor, Materials Engineering, Biomedical Engineering Coordinator, San Jose State University
"Ramping Up Cross-Disciplinary Technologies: Lessons Learned"
"The New Industrial Revolution"
"The New Industrial Revolution and China's Dilemma"
In addition to the conference, attendees will be able to visit the co-located Northern California Design-2-Part Show, the largest show in the region to focus exclusively on contract manufacturing services. The 2013 show will feature nearly 225 of the finest American contract manufacturing companies exhibiting their design-through-manufacturing services covering more than 300 product categories.
For more information about the Northern California Design-2-Part Show, or to register for free show admission, visit http://www.D2P.com.